Picking up from my last post, I started working on the frill samples which I drew up in my notebook.
These samples were quite easy to make, I simply drew up the patterns and then cut them out of the linen fabric. I started using brown paper to do my sample patterns as I only have a limited amount of spot and cross paper, as I still have to order a new roll.
I cut out small and large sizes of each frill sample, having different sizes can actually give you different effects, the weights can be different, creating different drapes.
As soon as they were all cut out, I went and started working on the mannequin, straight away I loved the ideas I was getting. I find working on the mannequin sometimes doesn’t work for me, but when I am in the right mind, it can work out amazingly and that is what happened for me this time!
When I am working on the mannequin I tend to go straight to the neckline and the armholes! This is different for everyone, everyone has an area they go straight to without even knowing it, its only when someone points it out that you realise it 😂
For the sample above I used 2 spiral samples, this worked quite nicely, and could look very interesting in a sheer fabric!
For the above sample I used 4 small square samples and pinned them to the shoulder seam. This was one of my favourite samples, I love the folded drape. I will further this sample later!
This sample is my favourite of all, I used all the small squares and 1 large square. This idea is definitely working for me, I will develop it further through some drawings.
Taking the shapes I liked the most, I went and cut them out from different fabrics, from satin to chiffon. I wanted to test different weights to see did the shape/structure/drape change!
This sample is a heavy satin, it drapes nicely and the weight of the fabric works as an advantage!
This sample is 100% cotton which I folded and ironed flat. I actually like this sample, especially if I was to layer the cotton. I do feel like it has lost something by simply being flat!
This sample is definitely a strong contender! I layered blue and black chiffon to create this awesome effect! I want to sample this further by layering even more!
The first round of sketches I done where a follow on of the gathered sample from my previous post.
I chose the draped sleeve idea and tried to develop it further. I don’t like any of the ideas I drew, so for now I won’t be developing it any further.
The next set were again developed from the same sample in my previous post. I loved the gathered drape as a statement piece to be added to a simple garment. I started looking at it in a much larger scale and even adding more than 1 to the garment.
I’m quite interested in the 2nd sketch, which is a larger version of the sample, attached to a simple draped dress.
These sketches are based on my most recent samples! I feel so inspired when I see these sketches and samples! I feel this idea is going to be a huge part of the collection, but it definitely needs to be furthered more! I feel excited about experimenting with these samples and I can’t wait to see what I come up with! 🤞
Here is my second line up, I picked my favourite designs out of my most recent and put them together. Again this just makes it easier for me to look back and decide which to develop and which to scrape!
Which one do you like?
Going back to my first line up, I decided to continue to toile my chosen garment, which is highlighted below.
I have already made the top and I fixed the size of the sleeves, they were too big and they wouldn’t fit in the arm holes! To fix the problem I simply reduced the back seam by 1cm and now the sleeves fit perfectly!
I didn’t take any picture of the pattern drafting for the skirt, mainly because I was so indulged in it I completely forgot I was supposed to be photographing everything 😂
I will photograph the pattern drafting for the final garment.
I shortened the skirt so it comes to the middle of the shin instead of the ankle. The skirt isn’t as wide as depicted in the sketch.
A netted under skirt could be added to give more volume, or I could use a heavier fabric and add more width to the skirt.
For part 8, you will see me work a lot with this sample outfit, moving toward a final first garment!
I will also continue to work on the drape samples and the frills!
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram: this_is_tanya_ and Snapchat: velvetvogue to see some behind the scenes of my collection!
Thank you for reading!