Line up #1
I continued to do sketches based on the paint sample I completed in part 4.
I like the idea of having a full skirt, with a large section of the skirt having the pattern painted onto it. I want to keep the top half simple and let the skirt be the star of the show.
Now that I have my colour story sorted, I decided to do my first line up of choices for the first dress. I picked my top 4 and quickly coloured them in with markers to see what they might look like.
The 3rd garment is definitely my favourite! I like the idea of a two piece, with the top being simple and the skirt having the painted print.
I will need to start looking into fabrics and collecting some samples, then I will need to start sampling the garment in calico.
The rest of the week was spent working on the embroidery samples, it took me a little bit of time to get the hang of the fine detailed one, as I was using a metallic thread.
Just to refresh, the pattern for the embroidery was taken from the pattern on the 2nd class dining plates used on the Titanic.
I am really happy with the out come, and I want to include it in my final collection. I will need to start designing some garments that could feature this embroidery pattern.
The colour of this sample won’t be the colour used in the collection. I will need to research some suppliers, to find the right shades.
The design for this sample was taken from the shape of the Titanic museum in Belfast. I used a silver metallic thread for the lines and used silver beads for the other shapes.
I also like this sample, it is a bit more original as I arranged the design myself, but I’m not sure how I would like this on a garment.
I will have to do some stand work with the sample and see how it looks on the body.
I drew up a few sketches of garment ideas featuring both of the embroidery samples. I sketched in the idea of using a skin coloured mesh fabric as a base for the embroidery, I will have to sample this to ensure it works.
In this sketch you can see I came up with the idea of having two fabric panels with the embroidery on them. These panels would then be attached to a skin coloured mesh, to give the illusion that it is just the panels covering the body.
This sketch also has the same idea, it is a v-neck mesh top with the embroidered shapes. The only problem is the embroidery won’t cover anything and will be very revealing, an under top may be needed.
I began looking at fabrics online and came across a website called Top Fabrics, which is based in the UK.
This website pretty much has everything I was looking for, so it would be a perfect suit as I can order everything together!
I went through their fabrics and ordered a few samples, this way I can see the colours properly and feel the quality and texture!
The next sample I want to test is fabric printing using a lino print! I have already transferred the design, now I just have to cut it out and print it.
I’m not sure how this will look, but that is why you have to try everything!
Hopefully this week I will get started on a trial version of dress #1 and then start sampling and design sketching for dress #2!
I’m also hoping to have my fabric samples soon, so I can start planning out the exact fabric I want!
I’m getting pretty excited now seeing everything coming together!
Thank you for reading!