The Design Diary: Surface Design

I printed out the images that I created in Photoshop, I lined them up on to A3 pages so I could have them grouped together.

Using a black marker I created full garments from the Photoshop samples, some turned out better than others.

IMG_9451

Picking out the best from the line up, I began to do my own sketches and developed them a bit further.

IMG_9479

As you can see from these sketches I took the first image from the Photoshop line up and then developed it into 3 other design ideas.

IMG_9511

IMG_9525

After completing some sketch work it was time to start looking at fabrics, print and embroidery.

In order to sample embroidery and print I will need to create some patterns from my research!

Colour

For the first pattern I decided to take it from the shape of the Titanic museum in Belfast.

I outlined the building using the pencil tool and then moved the shapes to a plain page.

shapes

After I picked out all the shapes I began to create patterns with them.

Here are the patterns I created so far.

Pattern3

Pattern.2

Now that I have some patterns created, I need to start exploring some colour stories.

These colour stories can be driven by the research, or by the trend forecasting for the particular season.

For my case I have decided to create this collection to be suited for the coming seasons, Autumn/Winter 17/18. I then began looking at the trend forecasting for these seasons and found some colour guide lines.

Next I went onto Pinterest to find images which have similar colours, these I can use as my colour story. Usually I would take my own photographs, but for this collection I decided just to pick one from Pinterest.

colour.

Once I had picked out a few images, I began to create colour swatches from each image.

I haven’t fully decided on which colour story I want, but I will use these colours in my print and embroidery samples.

I went back to my patterns in Photoshop and began to fill them with colour. These are not final prints but a working progress.

Now that I have my colour and pattern research done, I can now move onto samples!

The first sample I done was painting the shapes I took from the Titanic building. I used ordinary fabric paint on white satin fabric.

pattern.

IMG_9460

IMG_9508

I was happy with the outcome, but the sample would need another layer of paint as it was blotchy. I definitely want to further this idea on a much larger scale!

For this embroidery sample I got the design from the style of plate that was used abroad the Titanic.

plate

IMG_9445

I traced this design and then transferred it onto some pain Cotton fabric.

IMG_9496

Here is a progression photograph of the embroidery sample. I am using a metallic grey embroidery thread and a few different embroidery techniques.

This sample is not fully complete, but will be for part 5.

The next sample planned is another embroidery but this time it is of the same shapes taken from the Titanic museum.

IMG_9440

I haven’t fully decided on technique or colour yet. This sample should also be completed for part 5.

In part 5 I will begin some larger samples based on printing and painting. I will also start working on the large mannequin with fabric, while sketching up my first line up of garments.

Thank you for reading😘

Love Tanya

xxx

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s